Thursday 10 March 2016

Vintage Birdie


When my littlest was about to turn 1, I didn't want to have a typical party.  I'd been to so may "baby elmo", "baby princess" and "baby Minnie" Turns 1 parties, that I needed something different.  No offence to the Elmo's and Minnie's out there, I'd done them already myself!

So for this 1st, I decided to draw inspiration from my sweet girl herself.  From the moment she was born, she was my baby bird.  Little mouth opening at the need for, or mere sight of bottles and food. My little Birdie, would have a Birdie Birthday.


The Vintage Birdie Birthday, was a palate of soft pinks, creams and browns; wired bird cages, lace ruffles and faux pearls.
Having the party in our home, meant the whole open concept, main floor would be party central.  With everything in site, I made sure to have little details throughout the space.  Birds and cages were placed on little shelves, cabinets and half walls, to carry the theme.


I found vintage and new pieces with the birdies as well as cages around town and then re-purposed with paint and updating to serve as displays and accessories.  I tied in china and crystal from my own collection as well with the punch bowl, cake platter, etc. I'm a sucker for antiques so it was really fun to style!

On the other side of the room, we had a crafting station for the kids to paint wooden birdhouses.  I love having little activities throughout the space for guests to rotate through.  When they have something that they can take home and remember the fun they had making, all the better!  

I found a dozen or styles of houses that they could choose from.  We had paint palettes out and water dishes and just let the little ones jump in.  Huge success!

As a little game, I printed up a game of "put the birdie in their nest" and had a birdie for each child, with their name on it.  No squabbles over who's bird was who's.


For the main food table I continued the patterns from the water bottles and invites with the food cards. By continuing the colours and theme by incorporating things associated with birds, included a salad of fresh berries & leaves (mixed berries and greens), twigs (pretzel sticks),  swedish berries, marshmallow peanuts and worms in dirt (gummy worms in dark chocolate pudding and oreo crumbs on top).  There were little serving dishes of old fashioned candy sticks, scotch mints and rock candy, in coordinating colours as well as jelly beans and gumballs.  

 I made chocolate cake pops in the shape of birdies and arranged little birds nests, filled with jellybean eggs.


We had a smaller Smash Cake for the birthday girl to attach and little baggies of "Birdie Food" full of gummy worms, that guests could enjoy there or take home.


It was a wonderful afternoon with friends, family & feathers!

Cake by: Aunt Audrey's






No comments:

Post a Comment